Hot summer days call for a cold, refreshing beverage! For me, that’s classic, homemade, old-fashioned lemonade – so much better than anything you can buy in the shops, and so easy to make. I make mine with a liquid artificial sweetener instead of sugar, so it’s almost calorie-free, too.
- 4 unwaxed lemons
- 150 g caster sugar or the corresponding amount of artificial sweetener
- 1.2 l water
- Wash and slice the lemons.
- Place the lemons and sugar/sweetener in a medium-sized saucepan, pour in the water and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar/sweetener dissolves.
- Take off the heat and leave to infuse with a lid on for 15 minutes.
- Strain the lemonade into a jug or bowl and leave to cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Served with ice cubes and a sprig of mint, this is one of the highlights of summer! (With a little vodka or gin it makes a wonderful adult cocktail, btw….)